Re: HELP - Oracle is kicking my ass!!!!!

From: Roger Snowden <rsnowden_at_IHateSpam.com>
Date: 1997/07/14

> mike wrote:

> > Bottom line, I'm hung up on where the database is (I know that sounds
> > weird), how to view their properties, how to modify them or create them
> > in the first place. The highest level abstraction in the SVRMGRM GUI
> > seems to be the tablespace.

Don't be intimidated. But, do be cautious. You can create a new database using orainst, or you can do it manually. If you do it manually, and don't set your environment variables correctly, you may well destroy the existing database.

As you have been told by now, the Oracle 'instance' and 'database' are connected, one-to-one. The instance refers to the processes and memory supporting a database. You can certainly have two or more instances running on a single machine. You can connect them using the db_link facility. This is know as distributed Oracle. The db_link facility allows a session on one instance to work with objects on another instance, more or less transparently. You can even do distributed transactions with 'all or nothing' commit and rollback, using two-phase commit.

What is important here is the the different instances can be on the same machine or different machines. It's done through sql*net and it works quite well. You are well advised to read the oralce concepts manual and also read the Understanding SQLNET book. Good stuff, but not a 'speed read'.

Remember: conceptually, Informix, Oracle, Sybase and the rest are all the same damned thing. Oracle just manages to make it look tricky.

Roger Snowden Received on Mon Jul 14 1997 - 00:00:00 CDT