Re: Help: ORA-12224: TNS:no listener

From: Martin Bell <Martin.Bell_at_btinternet.com>
Date: 1997/07/14

stevec_at_zimmer.csufresno.edu (Steve Cosner) wrote:

>When trying to connect from my Windows 3.1 PC over our Ethernet
>network to an HP (9000, I think), I often get the error, ORA-12224:
>TNS:no listener. But at other times, the connect works just fine.
>This happens on several applications: SQL Plus, Forms designer, and
>Runforms.
>
>Sometimes the problem is so persistent that I have to start Personal
>Oracle and connect to that, then switch to the other connection. I don't
>know why running PO7 makes a difference, but it seems to help.
>
>If you have any ideas on what to do to fix this, I would really
>appreciate your help.
>
>Thanks,
>Steve Cosner

I have not seen tour problem before but hear are a few thoughts which may/may not help.

To connect to the HP box do you have to go through a bridge ? This may cause problems.

Have you tried tnsping before connecting ?

Have you tried logging into the HP box before connecting ?

Do you have problems "with the network" when doing other things e.g. can't find other hosts?

Has anyone checked the cabling recently ?

Are the versions of SQL*Net compatable ?

Have you tried "lsnrctl status" on the HP box when you are told there is no listener ?

I hope these ideas may help.

Martin Bell Received on Mon Jul 14 1997 - 00:00:00 CDT