Re: Oracle Web Server 2.0

From: Thomas Kyte <tkyte_at_us.oracle.com>
Date: 1997/07/13

If you want, there exists a fully functional OWA replacement cartridge that works with 2.0.3 and up of OWS on all platforms (a cgi-bin version exists for 2.0.1 and lower as well). You'll find it on http://govt.us.oracle.com/ under downloadable utilities (follow the quick picks to downloadable utilities from the home page)

This cartridge adds the ability to use the Basic Authentication Information (the userid/password you give in the little dialog the browser pops up) to log the user into the database instead of using the user info encoded into the OWA.CFG file. (it does other stuff to)

this allows you to create a database account for your user, let them log in using that username/password, and execute any stored procedure they have been granted access to (or some role they have has access to). All you need to do is manage database grants, not webserver authoriziations.

This feature is available in OWAS3.0 natively as well (currently in beta on NT). Check out http://www.olab.com/beta for info on getting into the NT beta if you want.

On Thu, 03 Jul 1997 22:42:27 -0500, rrbatra <rrbatra_at_feist.com> wrote:

>I am running Oracle WBSrvr 2.0 on NT. I have two web listeners
>configured. One at the admin. port (9999) and one at port 99.
>Everything works ok, including PL/SQL packages etc.
>
>My concern is security. Port 99 which is meant for our intranet is
>mapped to a user's schema. Is there a way to authenticate users by
>taking their Oracle username and password from a HTML page and then
>compare it with username and password from sys.dba_users table. I can
>grant select to the user who's schema is mapped to port 99. How do I
>comapare the password from the web page (varchar2) to the password field
>from sys.dba_users?
>
>Maybe there's another way for authentication? Any ideas?

Thomas Kyte
tkyte_at_us.oracle.com
Oracle Government
Bethesda MD

Opinions are mine and do not necessarily reflect those of Oracle Corporation Received on Sun Jul 13 1997 - 00:00:00 CDT