Can one instance start different databases

From: Rajeshwar Rao Surabhi <rsurabhi_at_ocean.st.usm.edu>
Date: 1997/07/12

Hello,

        Here is my question. I have three instances namely Rose, Prod and Orcl. The datbases i have are product, oracle and rose. I know that we can start a particular database say product with two diff instances say rose and prod. Can we start two different databases with one instance. If so please explain the steps.

         Is the dbname in init.ora parameter file is compulsory or optional. If it is compulsory can we have multiple dbnames so that we can start 2 different databases with the same instance. i,e dbname=product. In next line dbname=oracle in initrose.ora file.

Thanks,
Rajesh Received on Sat Jul 12 1997 - 00:00:00 CDT