Re: Oracle Services on NT 4.0

From: Nathan Hughes <nhughes_at_cerberus.umd.umich.edu>
Date: 1997/07/12

Ronny Ivarsen <ivarsen_at_online.no> writes:

>Doug Smith wrote:
>>
>> Does anybody know how to shutdown NT services such as the oracle start
>> instance services from the command line ? I want to put it in a script.
>>
>> Thanks
>NET STOP ORACLESTARTORCL;
>NET STOP ORACLESERVICEORCL;
Please note that just shutting down the service w/o first shutting down the database is the same as issuing 'shutdown abort', and therefore not what you want to do for backups!

Check alert.log for verificatin of this - even a shutdown abort will tag a message in the alert. Killing the service out from under the db leaves NO message.

I also had verification when trying to recover an NT db that had been configured like this - luckily I just got fuzzy backup errors, but was still able to come back.

--
/(o\ Nathan D. Hughes
\o)/ nhughes_at_umich.edu