Re: How can I be assured of the integrity of an Oracle database after a crash?

From: Nathan Hughes <nhughes_at_cerberus.umd.umich.edu>
Date: 1997/07/12

>On 8 Jul 1997 18:40:29 GMT, scott.overby_at_sdsdata.com (Scott Overby)
>wrote:

>A client of ours wants to be assured of the integrity of an Oracle instance
>after experiencing sever server crashes(Nwtware 4.1 and Oracle 7.1.x).
>
>Are there any SQL scripts on can run to assure the client that the data is
>OK?

Do a full database export to run through all tables - this will show you if there is any table data corruption. Use analyze table xxx validate structure and analyze index xxx validate structure on all indexes and tables to also check for corruption.

The analyze script can be created quite simply with sql->sql, i.e.

set head off pages 0 feed off
spool t.sql
select
  'analyze table '||table_name||' validate structure;' from
  dba_tables
union all
select
  'analyze index '||index_name||' validate structure;' from
  dba_indexes
/
spool off
@t.sql

Depending on the size of your db, this can take quite some time to run!

Hope this helps...

--
/(o\ Nathan D. Hughes
\o)/ nhughes_at_umich.edu