Re: Temp and Redo questions ?????

From: Luis Santos <lsantos_at_pobox.com>
Date: 1997/07/12

bill_at_NOSPAM.asplund.com (Bill) wrote:

> I am running a canned application on Oracle 7.1.6. I presently have
> all of my tablespaces on RAID 5. I am planing on moving my temp and
> redo log tablespaces off of the RAID 5 device. I am looking for some
> recommendations !!!!!
>
> Will it be ok to put both my temp and redo log tablespaces on one disk
> ? The disk would be an internal drive so it would be on the same
> controller as the root vg but a different controller than the RAID 5
> device ? ( there is nothing but Oracle running on this box)
>
> Is it suggested to put my redo logs on a device with no redundancy ?
> What are the recovery issues related to the redo logs ?
>
> Should I mirror the disk ? Is it worth the write penalty ?
>
> Or should I just keep everything up on RAID 5 ?
>

> Any suggestions or experience would be greatly appreciated !!!!!

        It's a very good and hard-to-answer question. It's known that the redo logs should not be put in a RAID 5 filesystem, because the natural sequential writes of them.

        Well, put them an a no redundancy file system is also not so good. Redo log recovery, generally, does not permit complete media recovery...

        The best choice, if possible, is use a little RAID 0 (mirror) filesystem with two little disks. This may be a little expensive action if you have two small disks available. Probably, you could use this filesystem to store some temp tablespaces too...

        Regards,

--
Luis Santos
Relacional Consultoria