Re: How to call a C program from PL/SQL under Unix

From: Dianna G. Whitt <dwhitt_at_csihq.com>
Date: 1997/07/10

In article <33c591d2.1667367_at_news.virgin.net>, mpeacock_at_kodak.com wrote:
>On Wed, 09 Jul 1997 20:34:40 -0600, ceid_at_wara.bolnet.bo wrote:
>
>>Hi !
>>
>>I have a PL/SQL stored procedure on my Oracle 7.3.2 server running on SCO
>>OpenServer 5. I need to call a PRO*C program from the PL/SQL stored
>>procedure and, if possible, send parameters and receive a return value.

>A quote from: PL/SQL Programming (Oracle Press 1996 ) p402:
>
>"PL/SQL does not have a direct means of interfacing with C programs.
>You can't call a C program from a PL/SQl stored procedure, for example.
>Currently, the only way around this restrictionis to use a pipe or alert
>to send a message to a waiting C daemon. "
>Martin Peacock
>mpeacock_at_kodak.com
>peacock_at_snowy.kodak.com

If you access the Oracle government web site (http://govt.us.oracle.com), there exists a free downloadable software package called PLEX. It will allow you to call a C program from your PL/SQL procedure. I have downloaded it, but have not yet had the time to try it. One of its authors, Tom Kyte, is a frequent poster to this newsgroup, and is extremely knowledgeable in PL/SQL. I have been checking this newgroup for over a year, and I save anything posted by Tom Kyte in my "Oracle tidbits of information to keep" file. Thanks Tom!

Dianna Whitt           		dwhitt_at_csihq.com
Principal Engineer     		www.csihq.com
Computer Science Innovations  	407-676-2923 x413 FAX)-2355