Re: Form3.0 to 4.5; Oracle 7.1 to 7.3

From: Dan Townsend <townsend_at_ebmud.com>
Date: 1997/07/10

Tong Siew Pui wrote:
> As the GUI migration could take up to 2 to 3 years to complete after
> taking into the considerations of the resources, maintenance work and
> arising urgent projects, there is a need for Form 3.0 and Form 4.5 to
> co-exist throughout the entire migration.

Go with your second option (we did and are pleased). Migrate the database to 7.3 (faster, better supported, etc.). Run Forms 3.0 and 4.5 against the 7.3 database. Migrate Forms 3.0 applications to 4.5 as time permits (sooner is better). Separate databases are a nightmare to keep in synch and maintain. And if your migration plan for the forms is really 2-3 years, think of how far behind you will be by the end of the migration if you don't keep your database current! You might also want to look at speeding up the forms migration so you don't have to keep your developers current on two very different development tools.