Re: exports and files > than 2 Gigs

From: Dragon Fly <dfly_at_siberia.ru>
Date: 1997/07/10

Carlos A. Gonzalez <carlos_a_gonzalez_at_us.dell.com> wrote in article <01bc8a14$35edb0c0$7916a68f_at_rasputin>...
> Gentlemen:
>
> Here is what's happening.
>
> I am in the process of movin a large database (20 Gigs) from one host to
> another.
>
> The export file I'll be creating is over two Gigs space.
>
> The Oracle Gurus at my site tell me about a unix file size limitation
 that
> can not be greater than 2 Gigs.
>
> I'm skeptical, specially since I been told a lot of misinformation from
 the
> same people before.

there is 2GB filesize limit on some unixes. which should not really prevent you from doing a full database export. just create a pipe and export to a pipe, and read from another end of the pipe using 'dd' command and save the output into multiple files. You can optionally compress the output on the fly. I'm doing this all the time.

Cordially,
Sergei