Re: How does oracle connect to a NT Server

From: raman batra <rrbatra_at_feist.com>
Date: 1997/07/10

Oracle uses SQL*Net to connect to any server. Your server OS is not really of importance to your
front-end. you could have a VAX server, UNIX server etc. To configure SQL*Net, you need to know
your server (host name), Oracle instance (SID) running on the server. Your application may be using operating
system authentication....hence may not ask u for a userid/pwd. You could also be using ODBC....depends upon the tool which was used to make the application. ODBC is "layered" on top on SQL*Net which is also called Oracle's transparent substrate(?) TNS.....blah blah blah.

If you have the privileges to query sys.v$session, do this. It will tell you who is connected and how...(ie winNt, win95 etc....)

Have fun