Re: Problem with TNSNAMES.ORA file

From: Nathan Hughes <nhughes_at_cerberus.umd.umich.edu>
Date: 1997/07/09

zgeist.diespammer_at_ee.net (Brett C) writes:

>Greetings all -

>I have a few servers, some of which are still running 7.1.4 (and SQL*Net
>2.1.4). The rest are running 7.3.3 (and SQL*Net 2.3.2.1).

>Awhile back, I copied over a 2.3.2 TNSNAMES.ORA file to a 2.1.4 machine. Now
>the 2.1.4 machines say that they cannot resolve the service name. Did the
>format of this file change between the releases ?

If Oracle generated the tnsnames.ora, check for domain names on the aliases. The default_domain param in sqlnet.ora allows you to skip teh domain names when referencing the alias, but the 2.1.4 machine won't recognize that. Solution is to reference the entire alias (prod.world) or get rid of the domains in the file.

--
/(o\ Nathan D. Hughes
\o)/ nhughes_at_umich.edu