Re: Problem with TNSNAMES.ORA file

From: Sven Barzanallana <*sbarzan_at_greyhound.com>
Date: 1997/07/09

Brett C wrote:
> <snip snip snip>...

> Awhile back, I copied over a 2.3.2 TNSNAMES.ORA file to a 2.1.4 machine. Now
> the 2.1.4 machines say that they cannot resolve the service name. Did the
> format of this file change between the releases ?

Not that I'm aware of. I have managed to have SQL*Net 2.3 talk to SQL*Net 2.1
on separate boxes with the same tnsnames.ora file. Perhaps if you can post
a copy of the file in question it could help.

> If so, can I install SQL*Net 2.3.2 on a 7.1.4 server ?

I had this same question and Oracle Support's answer was to not attempt upgrading
SQL*Net if you are not going to upgrade the server software. The reason for
this is that SQL*Net needs to be linked into Oracle's binaries and in the process
will replace some of them. I am unable to confirm this at this time as I do not
have a distinct testing instance to work with (our production and test instances
share the same ORACLE_HOME directory... bad, I know).

Perhaps someone out there can shed some light on any tnsnames.ora format changes?

Sven Barzanallana                This message has been spam-proofed
Lead Oracle DBA                                    Send replies to:
Greyhound Lines, Inc.                         sbarzan_at_greyhound.com