Re: NT vs SCO - Oracle vs SQLServer

From: Jared Hecker <jared_at_saturn.planet.net>
Date: 1997/07/09

Keith -

I think you will find Oracle scales much better than SQL Server, and the enhancements to 7.3 are oriented towards DSS / data mart applications (star query hints, for example). I say this as both an Oracle and a Sybase DBA, with some MS SQL Server 6.5 experience thrown in.

Neither of your choices of operating systems offers particularly good I/O, which will obviously impact your DSS/ROLAP application. For the cost of a PC server you might investigate a low-end Sparc or Alpha or HP, which will offer superior I/O and a more efficient operating system. DEC and HP also run NT, btw.

If you are absolutely constrained by running on a PC I would go with Oracle on NT; here on the east coast many believe SCO is in a death spiral outside of its ever-shrinking VAR network. You should engage an experienced DBA to lay out the tablespaces properly. Engage him _before_ you buy the box so it can be configured properly.

BTW, how big will this 40M-row database be?

hth -

Regards,
jh

Keith Teare (keith_at_easynet.net) wrote:
: Help!

: The subject says it all. Big decision to make real soon. Performance and
: scalability are the issues. Cost is secondary. Management is not an issue
: as we have prototypes in both. We are talking 40 million records with about
: 40 million reads per day and 100,000 writes.

: --
: Best Regards

: Keith Teare
: President/CEO
: Go Inc.
: Tel: +1-415-328-8885
: Fax: +1-415-328-8886
: Cell: +1-415-370-9676
: email: keith_at_easynet.net

--
Jared Hecker - CODBA      |  ** HWA, Inc. **   Oracle and Sybase
jared_at_hwai.com            |    database architecture and administration