Re: Exporting Oracle Database into text file

From: John Caputo <caputo1_at_llnl.gov>
Date: 1997/07/09

yoong pan wrote:

> Is there a way to export oracle database into a delimited text file?
>
> Also, is there a way to import oracle database into ms-SQL server?
>
> Thanks.
>
> --
> ---------------------------------
> | Eric Y. Pan (~{EKHYG?~} )
> | http://www.mech.utah.edu/~pan

I agree that you can use SQL*Plus. I have done it many times, although I haven't imported the data into another database. I find it best to place all of this into a SQL*Plus command file (fname.sql) There is a set of SQL*Plus 'set' commands you should use to ensure you get only the data and not echos of SQL*Plus labels and other stuff.

set feedback off
set heading off
set pagesize 0
set linesize 210
set space 0
set newpage 0
set verify off
set termout off
set echo off
set wrap off
set flush off

Then spool the output and execute your SELECT. You might want to reset all of these back to your normal interactive preferences at the end of your command file. I needed a fixed length file so I included a specific value for linesize. You might want to do something different.

John Caputo                              Lawrence Livermore
Email: caputo1_at_llnl.gov                    National Laboratory
Phone: (510) 422-5262                    P.O.Box 808, L-650
Mon-Thu  7:30 AM-5:30 PM - Off Fri       Livermore, CA   94551