Informix2Oracle Migration Question

From: Vicente Briz <vbriz_at_enyca.es>
Date: 1997/07/08

Hi,

I'm migrating a database from Informix to Oracle and I'm trying to find a way it seems as mosts transparent to the aplicaction level as possible. Informix support the SERIAL datatype for generate unique integer identifier for each row in a table, the identifier generation took place in the server that why any of my insert clause don't include this field.

In Oracle is there any way to bind a sequence object to a table colummn? I've been trying to do it in the before insert trigger but the server don't allow me to write directly to the table that generate the trigger. At this time I can access a system temporary table (like inserted or updated) an update the value for the "serial" colummn?

TIA,
Vicente Briz
e-mail: vbriz_at_enyca.es Received on Tue Jul 08 1997 - 00:00:00 CDT