SQLPlus input truncated to X characters

From: Frank Hubeny <fhubeny_at_ntsource.com>
Date: 1997/07/08

Occasionally, I get a message from SQLPlus reading: "Input truncated to X characters" where X is some number.

What does this message mean?

As an example, I created the following test file called "testing.sql":

CREATE OR REPLACE PACKAGE testing
IS

   PROCEDURE ttt;
END;
/

CREATE OR REPLACE PACKAGE BODY testing
IS

   PROCEDURE ttt
   IS
   BEGIN
      DBMS_OUTPUT.PUT_LINE ('Hello');
   END;
END;
/

After running "start testing", I get the following response:

Package created.

Package body created.

Input truncated to 11 characters
No errors.

The package runs correctly, but the "Input truncated" portion is confusing.

--
Frank Hubeny
fhubeny_at_ntsource.com