Re: Netware Vs NT with Oracle

From: Steve Phelan <stevep_at_no-spam.pmcgettigan.demon.co.uk>
Date: 1997/07/05

Andrew Walker wrote:

> The company I work for is thinking of networking the office. We have
> 15
> PCs/users needing access to a server housing an Oracle database.
> We don't know whether to go for Novell Netware or Windows NT. Which
> would perform best? Has anyone got any opinions?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Andy.
> --
> Andrew Walker, Senior Programmer, Advanced Expert Systems Ltd.

I've run Oracle on both NT and Netware. Given the choice I'd choose NT any day (much easier to install and manage; new releases come out first on NT, as do fixes; NT 'pages' memory, unlike Netware; etc., etc.)

Only reason I can think of using Netware over NT is when you have a site that is pure Novell with no Microsoft NT knowledge in place.

Of course, UNIX is *much, much* better than NT... Ah, I can feel the flames starting already! :-)

Steve Phelan. Received on Sat Jul 05 1997 - 00:00:00 CDT