Re: Primary keys in a different tablespace than the tables

From: Chrysalis <cellis_at_iol.ie>
Date: 1997/07/04

Annie TANGUY wrote:

> As all the books written about tuning oracle installation refers to
> separate indexes and tables, i did try to separate them.
> but, primary keys aren't indexes so they stick to the tables via
> exp/imp.
>
> Is there a way to force them out of the tables tablespace ?
>
> Thank you
>
> Annie

We may have a slight misunderstanding here.

A primary key consists of:
1) Its definition, which is in the system tables 2) Its component columns, which are part of the table and cannot be separated from it
3) The index used to implement it, which may be specified as belonging to a separate tablespace, if required.
The way to do this is to define the index storage explicitly in the primary key clause of the table definition (the "using .." clause)

Hope this helps.

Chrysalis

FABRICATI DIEM, PVNC
('To Protect and to Serve')
Terry Pratchett : "Guards Guards" Received on Fri Jul 04 1997 - 00:00:00 CDT