Re: Help! How do I create a second database on the same machine?

From: Halina Monka <hmonka_at_ibm.net>
Date: 1997/07/03

Jeremy Cope wrote:

> I have an Oracle 7.3 database running on NT and I would like to create
> two environments e.g test and prod
>
> What is the best way to do this?
>
> Do I need to install Oracle again and create another instance and
> database?
>
> Can I use the same instance for two databases? (I don't think so)
>
> Thanks in advance
>
> Jeremy Cope
> Consultant and desperado..........

You can do it with following method:
DO DATABASE BACKUP FIRST.

1. Trace the controlife, use it in 5.
2. Shutdown database, normal.
3. Copy datafiles, init.ora, control files, redo logs to selected, new
location.
4. Edit init$NEWSID.ora , change db_name and any other reference to "old" SID to new SID , control files etc.
5. Edit traced controlfile, change database name, redo logs, datafiles.
6. Startup new instance, do not mount or open.
7. Run sql script to create controlfile
8. Open database.

Halina Received on Thu Jul 03 1997 - 00:00:00 CDT