Re: Mutating problem

From: Dave Macpherson <dave_at_fifthd.ca>
Date: 1997/07/03

On Wed, 02 Jul 1997 16:51:05 -0500, Bala Kundumadathil <bbkund_at_searle.monsanto.com> wrote:

>Hi,
>
>Would appreciate if someone could help me get over the mutating problem
>when using database triggers in Oracle 7.
>What I have is 2 tables A and B. Table B has a foreign key linked to
>table A. When inserting into Table A, I have a DB trigger(after Insert)
>which inserts a detail record into table B. Since B looks up table A, I
>encounter the mutating problem.
>
>If there is no direct approach, what are the ways of getting over this
>hiccup.
>
>Thanks in advance to all your suggestions.
>
>Bala.

The Oracle7 Server Application Developer's Guide V7.3 describes a method of getting around the mutating table problem by storing around the information about the rows you want to process in a PL/SQL table in an AFTER-INSERT row-level trigger and then processing this PL/SQL table in an AFTER-INSERT statement level trigger (the statement level trigger is not subject to the mutating table rules and can select from the constraining table.

Hope this helps.

Dave Macpherson Received on Thu Jul 03 1997 - 00:00:00 CDT