Re: !!!HELP!!! ORACLE 7.1.6 in multi-threaded mode versus single-threaded mode...

From: Tom Frost <frostt_at_ihub.ea.unisys.com>
Date: 1997/07/02

Bert Lee Medley wrote:

> Does anyone know the performance characteristics and differences of ORACLE
> 7.1.6 in multi-threaded and single threaded mode? I have a PowerBuilder
> application that can have, on average, 5 concurrent connects to the
> database. Performance at one site running multi-threaded is painful; at
> our local site running single threaded, is much better. Any ideas?
>
> --
> Bert Lee Medley, III
> medleyb_at_logica.com work
> medleyb_at_flash.net home

Don't fall into the false belief that MTS will increase performance. MTS is an additional "layer" of software between the client and the data. The purpose of MTS is to increase the number of concurrent connections and maintain them with a manageable number of processes. The general recommendation is to avoid using MTS unless you have a proven need for it. Try running without MTS. If you experience a huge amount of paging, swapping, or context switching, then you may want to try MTS.

If you decide to utilize MTS, then you better re-tune your SGA. In a non-MTS environment, the PGA and sort area are allocated for each server process separately. Under MTS, the PGA and sort area are included in the SGA. The memory saved by using MTS can be trivial. Received on Wed Jul 02 1997 - 00:00:00 CDT