Re: HAnging ORACLE database

From: Nathan Hughes <nhughes_at_cerberus.umd.umich.edu>
Date: 1997/07/02

> Vikas Gautam (gautam_at_sequent.com) wrote:
>: Hi,

>: I am having a consistent problem in my 7.3.2.3 ORACLE database on
>: a UNIX machine (Sequent). The problem is that the database seems to
>: hang at non-deciphered times and the hanging is not due to a consistent
>: set of jobs.
[...] I've had a similar problem, that I troubleshooted down to database corruption in a system/data dictionary table. Do full database exports work? Does
the entire database hang (i.e., no more connections are able to be made, already made connections are hung, svrmgrl connect internal has no response, etc.?)

For my corruption, only solution was complete database rebuild. (I couldn't pinpoint a time, so I couldn't restore from tape/do a point in time reco). Oracle support can walk you through steps in determining whether corruption is the culprit - and it's probably best to perform that exercise with them on the other end. You could also try dropping and recreating rollback segments, redo logs, and their associated tablespaces - I've had one corrupt rbs that I finally pinpointed by the fact that it wouldn't drop.

Also, and this might be obvious (but is always something to look at when db hangs w/no errors/logs) check to make sure you don't have a locking problem with any system procedures or tables. Check sys.dba_ddl_locks and sys. dba_dml_locks (created from catblock.sql) for a quick status report.

Good luck - hope this helps.

--
/(o\ Nathan D. Hughes
\o)/ nhughes_at_umich.edu