Re: Oracle stored procs

From: Ragun Chandra <ragun_at_grfn.org>
Date: 1997/07/02

On 30 Jun 1997, David Wetzel wrote:

> Okay, I'm confused... I want to write a stored proc that does something
> similar to this:
>
> create proc show_dept(dept_id number)
> is
> begin
> select emp, job, sal
> from emp
> where deptno= dept_id;
> end;
>
> In other words, I want to run a report that returns any number of rows
> based on inputted data.
>
> It's beginning to look to me like Oracle can only handle sp's that deal
> with one and only one row. That can't be right, I must be doing something
> wrong.

Hi David,

It's not something wrong, it's true. From Oracle 7.3 onwards they are supporting cursor returns which I still feel little clumsy. You can return only one type of cursor at any time, that's while declaring procedure u have to mention what type of cursor it's returning. I still don't know whether it can be used in Forms4.5 front end to capture cursor as PL/SQL versions are different.

If u having Oracle 7.3 or above have fun. Those who come from Sybase it's a shock.

Regards
Ragun Received on Wed Jul 02 1997 - 00:00:00 CDT