HAnging ORACLE database

From: Vikas Gautam <gautam_at_sequent.com>
Date: 1997/07/01

Hi,

	I am having a consistent problem in my 7.3.2.3 ORACLE database on
	a UNIX machine (Sequent). The problem is that the database seems to
	hang at non-deciphered times and the hanging is not due to a consistent
	set of jobs.

	The symptoms are also misleading. At one time, I could not log on as
	SYS. At other times, I have not been able to look into dba_ tables (
	but could get to the V$ views). At other times a select FIELD1 from
	TABLE1 shows n-number of rows and then hangs.

	To solve this problem, I was initially shutting down abort (immediate
	was not doing the job) and then bringing up the database and then
	shutting it down and starting again. This solved the problem but
	the hanging repeated after a day or two again. The other approach I
	took was to "do nothing" and after returning the next day, the problem
	of hanging used to go away.

	Now, there is NOTHING in the alert_logs or in the trace files. Called
	ORACLE and they started poking into ROLLBACK segments (I
	changed the OPTIMAL to 200K from 10M). Nothing happened.
	They have since not returned my call. Have looked into the operatin
	system also and seen nothing wrong. Have asked the Sequent
	Customer Service to look into the problem but no help.

	Can someone give any pointers to help. I can email the init$SID.ora
	files to you if you are interested.

Thanks,
Vikas
gautam_at_sequent.com