Re: Creating a DB from scratch on UNIX (AIX)

From: Alex Cheung <alexcheung_at_onramp.ca>
Date: 1997/07/01

Carlo De Vecchi wrote:

> I would like to know the exact sequece of operations
> to do if, after having installed an Oracle server on AIX
> without the option for the automatic DB creation, I would
> like to create the DB by hand.
> The oracle documentation say that it is not easy but doesn't
> explain how to do it...
>
> Can somebody help me?
> Some suggested reading?
>
> Thanks.
>
> Carlo De Vecchi.

Hi Carlo :

        It is a very long and careful process. As a way to defragment our production and test database, I use 'create database command' plus a number SQL-script you need to run. As an experiment, I suggest you test it in a new database. Once you get familiar with the process, then you can work on your database.

        Prior to any step, you should get all data files specification like what is the name of dbf files, how big they are ..

        You can also use the 'alter database set control file trace' command which would create a trace file with file extension *.trc. It tells you the exact detail of your database. You can move the detail into the 'create database' command.

        I have a very good reference that you may find it useful. The name of the book is 'Oracle DBA handbook' by Kevin Loney from Oracle Press. The section is in the Appendix A which explains how to create the database and what files you need to pay attention to. So far, our production and testing has been re-bulit many times using the procedures.

        good luck in your database advebture

Alex Cheung
ORACLE DBA and Programmer
(alexcheung_at_onramp.ca) Received on Tue Jul 01 1997 - 00:00:00 CDT