Re: Q: How to reconfigure shared-memory segment size in Sun Solaris 2.5.1 kernel (SPARC)

From: Bill Beaton <bb61_at_lnx034.digitech.ab.ca>
Date: 1997/06/30

In article <33B7D435.67DA_at_ix.netcom.com>,

        htchen <htchen_at_ix.netcom.com> writes:
> Hi! I am running Oracle 7.3.2 on a Sun SPARC 10. While setting up for
> the first Designer/2000 repository, I modified the following init.ora
> parameters for a particular database server instance to the values
> shown:
>
> shared_pool_size = 18000000
> db_block_buffers = 1000
> global_names = FALSE
> open_cursors = 200
> processes = 50.
>
> However, when I tried to re-start the database server instance, the
> following message was returned to me:
>
> ORA-07331,smsnsg: unable to allocate the variable portion of the
> SGA.
>
> I assume I have to modify some parameters regarding shared-memory
> segments in the Solaris UNIX kernel. Can someone share any information
> on how to resolve this problem?

This is such a tiny SGA, that the problem must be your Shared memory segments. Have your sysadmin increase shared memory capability higher than you are requesting. (Its not beyond reason to allow the entire memory map to participate in shared mem).

On larger memory configurations. SUN and ORACLE have NOT documented how to allocate the segments ... you have to alter $ORACLE_HOME/rdbms/lib/ksms.s, and then relink the ORACLE executables. You alter the very 1st 'sgabeg = ???????' line, to a value like 0xa0000000 (for UltraSparc 5000). Contact SUN support for the correct value for your hardware platform.

Bill Received on Mon Jun 30 1997 - 00:00:00 CDT