Re: Help, delete a data file

From: Bill Beaton <beatonb_at_cadvision.com>
Date: 1997/06/30

In article <33B73062.4B9_at_us.oracle.com>,

        "Srini(vas) Kumar Rayapeddi" <srkumar_at_us.oracle.com> writes:
>Dave Marcus wrote:
>
>If its above V7.x
>try resizing the datafile to minimum. Say 1M, if it works good.
>Resize does not work if there is some data.
>
>Now you can reclaim the space avoiding problems

Do NOT ... I repeat, do NOT try this before Release 7.3.2. There is a bug in Oracle's updating of the data file headers that will prevent you from recreating the instance using a control file IF you have resized a data file downwards. This bug does not hit when you increase a datafile's size.

Bill Beaton