tape error: no tape loaded or drive offline ?

From: Atif Ahmad Khan <aak2_at_Ra.MsState.Edu>
Date: 1997/06/29

I recently acquired an Archive Python DDS Autoloader. According to
/kernel/drv/st.conf its a supported drive. I have it connected to
my Adaptec 2940UW controller. As far as I can tell everything is working fine. The kernel sees the drive, at least the messages file and the prtconf say so.

But the command 'mt -f 1 status' gives me the following error : 1: no tape loaded or drive offline

I have made sure that there are 4 tapes in the magazine. I even went ahead and loaded one of them manually by pressing the step button. And then did a reconfigure reboot. That didn't change anything except that I didn't see the st driver entries in the prtconf output. But running mt gave the same error. I went ahead and unloaded the tape and did a reconfigure reboot again. Below I have included the output from prtconf and messages file. I would appreciate if some kind soul could point me to the right direction. Thanks.

P.S. I was hoping that there would be command for mt to load a tape and or bring the drive online. The man page for mt didn't list any such options.

/var/adm/messages ..

Jun 29 08:17:32 lagoon unix: st4:     <Archive Python 4mm Helical Scan>
Jun 29 08:17:33 lagoon unix: st4 at pci9004,81780:
Jun 29 08:17:33 lagoon unix:  target 4 lun 0
Jun 29 08:17:33 lagoon unix: st4 is /pci_at_0,0/pci9004,8178_at_c/st_at_4,0

output of prtconf ..

System Configuration: Sun Microsystems i86pc Memory size: 128 Megabytes
System Peripherals (Software Nodes):

i86pc

    pci, instance #0

        pci8086,1237 (driver not attached)
        pci8086,7000 (driver not attached)
        pci8086,7010 (driver not attached)
        pci8086,7020 (driver not attached)
        pci1013,a8 (driver not attached)
        pci10b7,9050, instance #35
        pci9004,8178, instance #0
            cmdk, instance #0
            cmdk, instance #1 (driver not attached)
            cmdk, instance #2 (driver not attached)
            cmdk, instance #3 (driver not attached)
            cmdk, instance #4 (driver not attached)
            cmdk, instance #5 (driver not attached)
            cmdk, instance #6 (driver not attached)
            st, instance #0 (driver not attached)
            st, instance #1 (driver not attached)
            st, instance #2 (driver not attached)
            st, instance #3 (driver not attached)
            st, instance #4
            st, instance #5 (driver not attached)
            st, instance #6 (driver not attached)
    used-resources (driver not attached)     isa, instance #0
        kd, instance #0
        ata, instance #0
            cmdk, instance #8
            st, instance #8 (driver not attached)
        chanmux, instance #0
        asy, instance #0
        asy, instance #1
        elx, instance #31 (driver not attached)
        elx, instance #1 (driver not attached)
        elx, instance #2 (driver not attached)
        elx, instance #3 (driver not attached)
        elx, instance #4 (driver not attached)
        elx, instance #5 (driver not attached)
        elx, instance #6 (driver not attached)
        elx, instance #7 (driver not attached)
        elx, instance #8 (driver not attached)
        elx, instance #9 (driver not attached)
        elx, instance #10 (driver not attached)
        elx, instance #11 (driver not attached)
        elx, instance #12 (driver not attached)
        elx, instance #13 (driver not attached)
        elx, instance #14 (driver not attached)
        elx, instance #15 (driver not attached)
        elx, instance #16 (driver not attached)
        elx, instance #17 (driver not attached)
        elx, instance #18 (driver not attached)
        elx, instance #19 (driver not attached)
        elx, instance #20 (driver not attached)
        elx, instance #21 (driver not attached)
        elx, instance #22 (driver not attached)
        elx, instance #23 (driver not attached)
        elx, instance #24 (driver not attached)
        elx, instance #25 (driver not attached)
        elx, instance #26 (driver not attached)
        elx, instance #27 (driver not attached)
        elx, instance #28 (driver not attached)
        elx, instance #29 (driver not attached)
        elx, instance #30 (driver not attached)
        fdc, instance #0
            fd, instance #0
            fd, instance #1 (driver not attached)
    options, instance #0
    objmgr, instance #0
    pseudo, instance #0

Atif Khan
aak2_at_ra.msstate.edu Received on Sun Jun 29 1997 - 00:00:00 CDT