Re: Oracle - Transactions !

From: Robert Christenson <robertoc_at_fyiowa.infi.net>
Date: 1997/06/27

Zoran Ivanovich wrote:

> Hi,
> my last posting regarding nested transactions, received no reply,
> therefore I'm trying againg, with some more info.
>
> We are developing C/S application using ORACLE 7.x as our main RDBMS.
> We have Client application (VB + C + ODBC), and Server portion (PL/SQL).
>
> Main processing is executing on the Client, calling different PL/SQL
> functions on the Server. All this is running under one transactions.
> Any problem is rolling back entire process.
>
> So far so good.
>
> But, we need, from time to time, to update few tables with current log
> information, security, sequence numbers, … All this should run as
> parallel transaction, or as nested transaction.
>
> Is there any way to have this functionality (within PL/SQL), something
> like:
>
> - SQL INSERT/UPDATE not associated with any transaction,
> - or opening another session which will have parallel transaction
> capability
> - nested transaction, within the same session
> - accessing some global table
> - or something else (???)
>
> Any help is greatly appreciated.
>
> Regards,
> Zoran Ivanovic
> RS/2 International Ltd.

I would use DBMS_PIPE to send whatever logging you want to another process, call it LOGGER. LOGGER will read the pipe periodically and take whatever action. LOGGER could be a VB/C program on the client, or a PL/SQL procedure submitted with DBMS_JOB, at some small interval so that it would repeat as often as you need.

I don't know of anyway to create a nested transaction, but then there are a lot of things I don't know :)

--
"Came for the party, left on the run"

Robert Christenson
Gazette Technologies