[Q] How to return a result set from a stored procedure through ODBC?

From: Lee Doty <iarld_at_connectnet.com>
Date: 1997/06/26

Our company is porting a large product (wharehouse automation system) from MS-SQL Server to Oracle.

Here's the problem: In order to perform many operations within their contractual time limits, we used quite a few stored procedures. Many of these procedures return a result set (or 2), and we simply use SQLFetch and SQLMoreResults to get at these results.

According to the Oracle Docs, this isn't kosher in Oracle. (hassle)

2 questions:

Why? Is this an encapsulation issue? couldn't they have handled this better? Perhaps restricting it to only (maybe explicitly declared) one result set?

What is an efficient way around this? Lets assume you have a complex stored procedure (actually several interconnected SPs) that does a lot of manipulation (side effects) of data, then returns a result set of 10 rows to the C++ app through ODBC.... how would you implement this?

Any help from the oracle experts would be very much appreciated!

thanks.

-Lee

"It can't rain all the time" Received on Thu Jun 26 1997 - 00:00:00 CDT