Pricing : Please Help

From: Jason <zinetti_at_cyberramp.net>
Date: 1997/06/26

Sorry for the cross-posting, but I am trying to get info ASAP.

        I am trying to price an install of Oracle, but Oracle does not seem
very willing to work with us. We are setting up a back-end database for a helpdesk like application with around 6000 concurrent users. I would think that at some point they would price similar to Sybase in that at after purchasing a certain number of licenses (501 at Sybase) they would just call it unlimited use. Instead they are wanting to charge retail minus a percentage for every single user and 6000 times any oracle retail price is a hell of alot of money, around 6 Million with tools & support!!!!! Can you imagine?

        What are other experiences with Oracle and what pricing
structure was
setup?

        Another interesting fact is that www.tcp.org has many Oracle installations speced out and the prices for the software are also listed. Under a machine that has 3,100 concurrent users the Oracle price is $107,343 and another with 12,000 users is $414,802, this comes out to $34.63 and $34.97 respectively per user. They are trying to use their retail price ($1475) minus a percentaqe when listed here, it is only 2.3% of retail.

What gives?

Thanks, Jason Received on Thu Jun 26 1997 - 00:00:00 CDT