Re: Instance parameter file location

From: Halina Monka <hmonka_at_ibm.net>
Date: 1997/06/26

Shivakumar Gopalakrishnan wrote:

> Generally the one in $ORACLE_HOME/dbs should be the one, GENERALLY
> - Shiva
>
> Ludo Joris <lujo_at_ruca.ua.ac.be> wrote in article
> <33a68b76.22112530_at_news.ruca.ua.ac.be>...
> > When an instance starts up,
> > it reads it's parameter file initSID.ora.
> > But I've got one in $ORACLE_BASE/admin/$ORACLE_SID/pfile
> > and one in $ORACLE_HOME/dbs.
> > Where an instance looks for it's parameter file should be in
> > the operating system specific Oracle manual.
> > I can't find it.
> >
> > I'm using Oracle7 7.3.2.2 on HP-UX 10.20.
> >
> > --
> > Ludo Joris
> > RUCA - University of Antwerp, Belgium
> > lujo_at_ruca.ua.ac.be

Oracle will look for pfile in $ORACLE_HOME/dbs unless otherwise specified at the startup command.
Common practise on Unix ( OFA standards ) , is to place pfile in $ORACLE_BASE/admin directory and then create soft link from $ORACLE_HOME/dbs directory. Are you sure that yours is not a link? Halina Monka
ToysRUs International Received on Thu Jun 26 1997 - 00:00:00 CDT