Re: Unix File System versus ROW device

From: Roy Klassen <rklassen_at_pei.sympatico.ca>
Date: 1997/06/25

The advantage of using the RAW device is that it is faster because you are not going through the UFS cache or buffer.

The disadvantage is that the tablespaces created in the RAW volumes are fixed size. The only way to increase the size is to drop the raw device and recreate, or create another raw device for the tablespace. Both are a little more work.

I would not use the RAW devices in a Development environment bacause, the tablespace sizing is not stable. However, in a Production environment where the sizing has been done properly and performance is more of an issue; RAW devices is definitely the way to go.

REJI BABY <reji_at_postoffice.worldnet.att.net> wrote in article <33AD79B6.624B_at_postoffice.worldnet.att.net>...