Re: Please help a dummy! :-)

From: Lane W. Sharman <lane_at_san.rr.com>
Date: 1997/06/25

Ken Mizuta wrote:

> Bengt Nilsson wrote:
> >
> > I was just wondering. Assume I have a variable, in which I store a
 table
> > name (the name of the variable is X). I store the table name
> 'Mytable'
> <snip>
> > The SQL Dummy
>
> You have to use dynamic SQL. There is no other way of doing what you
> want.
> Dynamic SQL method 1 is not very difficult to learn and it can handle
> what you need.

Dynamic SQL is actually a pretty inflexible environment for dynamic sql because it has such poor regular expression parsing and so forth. I strongly advocate using perl with the DBI library (native OCI) for very fast and flexible access to the Big O.

PL/SQL is fine for DBMS intensive activities with minimal text/decision processing >imho< but from extensice sw and management exp.

-L

--
Lane Sharman
Pour chasser le chagrin,