RAID: 0, 3, or 5?

From: <ltost_at_systemautomation.com>
Date: 1997/06/24

Unfortunately, our RAID box can only implement RAID levels 0, 3, or 5. We'll be running on an RS/6000 under AIX 4.2 (3.2 for now). The RAID unit is a Box Hill 530. I'm not sure how many or how big the disks are right now. I was planning on having it configured into RAID 0+1, 1 and possibly 5 (since we do have much read only or at least write rarely data).

Would anyone care to make any recommendations? What about RAID 0 for the redo logs, and control files? I could mirror them using Oracle, correct?  But what about rollback and data? Level 0 is no good for that, right? I hear awful things about level 3 and level 5 has crappy write performance.

Any responses would be appreciated... we're going to have to configure this thing tomorrow (we've put it off long enough). So the sooner the better for any responses.

Thanks.

ltost_at_systemautomation.com