Backup commands - tar

From: Amit Aggarwal <amaggarwal_at_kendle.com>
Date: 1997/06/24

Hi:

We have a small problem with our Oracle Hot backups.

We are using 'tar' to backup our database files. Since we have about 30 different tablespaces, and we backup one tablespace at a time, it takes almost 5 hours to backup the entire database. Since we have a smaller window available than that, we have to somehow reduce this time period. What I have noticed that it takes half the time in rewinding the tape. Since each next datafile to be backed up has to be appended to the list, we have to rewind the tape after each tablesapce backup, or rather the tape drive rewinds the tape itself.

Does anyone know that if I try 'dump'or some other command instead of 'tar', can that help? We have Oracle 7.1.3 running on Digital Unix.

Also, do these commands have a built in CRC check?

Thanks. Received on Tue Jun 24 1997 - 00:00:00 CDT