Moving Oracle Database from AIX to HP-UX

From: Jost Bernert <jbernert_at_hpugrca.grc.hp.com>
Date: 1997/06/24

Hi everybody,

hope that somebody is able to help me with my somewhat (?) unusual problem:

One of our customers is using Oracle 7.1.4 on an IBM RS/6000 hardware with AIX. He now wants to migrate to Oracle 7.1.6 on a HP K460 machine with HP-UX 10.20. Because I am the one who is doing this task, I have the following question (as usual, the migration should be done asap):

Is it possible to restore the Oracle datafiles from AIX on HP-UX (e.g. via ADSM) so that Oracle is able to come up on the HP machine with the former AIX datafiles? In other words, is Oracle using the same internal structures for storing the data in the datafiles independent of the different Unix flavour (MSB/LSB interpretation etc.).

To be fast as possible I hope that I do not have to use the standard export/import way (size of the database ~ 20GB).

Every hint is welcome!!

Thank you very much in advance

        Jost

Jost Bernert Hewlett-Packard GmbH Applikation Consultant Geschaeftsstelle Ratingen Berliner Str. 111 D - 40880 Ratingen Tel.: +49 (0)2102/90-6306 EMail: jost_bernert_at_hp.com Fax: +49 (0)2102/90-7926