Re: Please help a dummy! :-)

From: Ken Mizuta <kmizuta_at_jp.oracle.com>
Date: 1997/06/24

Bengt Nilsson wrote:

> I was just wondering. Assume I have a variable, in which I store a table
> name (the name of the variable is X). I store the table name 'Mytable'
> in X. Is it possible to write, say, a select statement using the varible
> X to get the contents of the table 'Mytable'?
> I do not want to use dynamic sql. The question is:
> Is it possible to have sql interpret the variable name by its contents
> and not by its name.
> Grateful for any help
> The SQL Dummy

You have to use dynamic SQL. There is no other way of doing what you want.
Dynamic SQL method 1 is not very difficult to learn and it can handle what you need.

                   /    Kenichi Mizuta
                  /     Oracle Corporation (Redwood Shores, CA)
       ////      /      Applications Division
      |0 0|     /       email: kmizuta_at_us.oracle.com
 _ooO_ \U/_Ooo_/        url: http://members.tripod.com/~kmizuta/

 The comments and opinions expressed herein are mine and
 do not necessarily represent those of Oracle Corporation.