Re: Unix File System versus ROW device

From: Detlev Goebel <detlev.goebel_at_gzs.de>
Date: 1997/06/23

REJI BABY wrote:

> Please describe what are the advantages and disadvantages of UFS over
> row devices for ORACLE database...I saw an article in Explore ORACLE
> RDBMS talking about use UFS instead of raw device but an expert said
> NO use raw device... Please help me out....
>
> REJI
Hi,

in older os releases it was much faster to access the hard drives directly as a raw device. Oracle was able to use an device entry to store and read data much faster.
With the new File Systems on Unix (e.g. XFS) the filesystem became very fast so that there is no more need to add raw devices to the oracle tablespaces. It's much more convinient for administrators to handle with UFS and there is no more reason to use raw devices.

good luck

--
Detlev Goebel

mailto:detlev.goebel_at_gzs.de