Attentions DBAs - Does this make sense

From: Murali Kazhipurath <murali_at_jps.net>
Date: 1997/06/21

I understand from an Oracle bulletin that there are two types of TbaleSpace fragmentation. The bulltin reads:

<<<< There are two types of fragmentation. The tablespace may have two pieces of free space but in between the two, there is a permanent object. There is no way to coalesce those two free extents. Another type of fragmentation occurs when the tablespace has two pieces of free space that are adjacent to each other, but they are separate. With this type of fragmentation, Oracle's SMON will coalesce the two extents into one large extent of free space. This automatic coalescing is new in Oracle7 and on. >>>

I am in the process of setting up storage parameters for tables in a database.  My idea is to allocate a large INITIAL EXTENT (based on the expected data)  and NEXT EXTENT of size 1M. I am planning to keep the size of NEXT EXTENT 1M for all tables since this will aid the reusage of them when they are free. This might be an overkill for small tables, but it maintains consistency.

Does this seem ok? Will this help avoid fragmentation to some extent? Please advice.

Thanks,

Murali

Murali Kazhipurath
Lead Technical Consultant
Kaustubam Systems, Inc. (Database and Internet Solutions Provider) Phone: (916) 773 1918