Re: Filters and Context Option

From: Joel R. Kallman <jkallman_at_us.oracle.com>
Date: 1997/06/21

On 19 Jun 1997 18:04:12 GMT, "--" <ip201946_at_mail.ip.pt> wrote:

>Hi everybody;
>
>Im storing text in RTF in long / long Raw in order to include in
>dynamicly generated html pages.
>
>I don't have a clue how to convert the text into html inside an html page.
>The context option suplies filter but this filters only convert to plain
>text.
>
>Does anyone knows text filters that work in UNIX and that can be used
>whith PL/SQL ?
>
>Thanks a lot,
>
>Pedro Moniz

The filters that are included with Oracle ConText Option are used to extract the text from multiple document formats, suitable for indexing by the ConText engine. They are not intended to be 2-way filters.

I can see at least two options for you:

  1. Purchase some external filtering software that runs on UNIX. Mastersoft Corporation, which was purchased by Inso Corporation, sells such a product....that is, 2-way filters to convert among a plethora of document formats. This could be made "callable" from PL/SQL using PLEX (see downloadable utilities on http://govt.us.oracle.com).
  2. You could also *not* store the text as RTF and simply *store* it as ASCII text in a VARCHAR2 column. Then, using the Oracle Web SDK, you could include this text in dynamically generated HTML. Thanks!

Joel

Joel R. Kallman          Enabling the Information Age through
Oracle Government                Network Computing!
Bethesda, MD                  http://govt.us.oracle.com
jkallman@us.oracle.com          http://www.oracle.com

The statements and opinions expressed here are my own and do not necessarily represent those of Oracle Corporation. Received on Sat Jun 21 1997 - 00:00:00 CDT