Re: Calling a C routine from PL/SQL program

From: <suisum_at_freenet.edmonton.ab.ca>
Date: 1997/06/21

Hi David:

How do you use C to access Oracle table? Can you show me sample codes?

I use OCI (Oracle Call Interface). The communication between Oracle and C works through dbms_pipe.

David Kaiser (davidk_at_sfmic.com) wrote:
: On UNIX, Oracle offers and example PRO*C program that helps do this (using
: pipes). We used that for a while, but ran into problems with it and Oracle
: 7.2.2.3.

: What we currently do is a little less efficient, but works well. We have
: created a table that we insert external program calls into. We then have a
: C program that checks the table at a certain interval for new records, when
: it finds them, it executes the commands. This solution would work on NT as
: well as UNIX.

: My humble opinion is that Oracle needs to address this in a cleaner manner.
: They should support calling the O/S from PL/SQL.