Re: HELP: How to DELETE millions of records (selectively)

From: Michael Nolan <nolan_at_inetnebr.com>
Date: 1997/06/20

Francisco Lameira <francisco.j.lameira_at_telecom.pt> writes:

>I'm using Oracle 7.1.6 on a Alpha (1 processor, 40 disks of 4.3 GB).

>I have some BIG problems, so I would like to know the following:

>- What's the fastest way of selectively delete 2 million records from a
>table containing 10 million records?

Is speed really your biggest concern, or are you also concerned about keeping the database available to other users during this operation, ensuring that it remains intact in case of a severe failure, etc?

Do you have sufficient rollback space to handle the entire transaction in a single commit, or do you need to perform it in pieces? Are you running in log archive mode? How heavily indexed is this table?

--
Mike Nolan