Re: HELP: What are the advantages of Parallel Query/Server

From: Bill Bearden <bbearden_at_quincy.glenayre.com>
Date: 1997/06/20

Parallel Query is an option that causes multiple processes to work, at the same time, on a serial scan of a data set. This is a fairly simple concept and might help in an environment with only one processor. Obviously, Parallel Query will deliver even bigger benefits on a multi-processor system.

Parallel Server is an option that allows two instances to control the same database. This is used in a 'clustered' environment where two systems share disk drives. This option is used in high end systems and will probably not apply to a single CPU system.

Hope this helps,
Bill Bearden
Consultant

Francisco Lameira <francisco.j.lameira_at_telecom.pt> wrote in article <33A98A8D.1895_at_telecom.pt>...