Re: Help, delete a data file

From: Corry Retzke <corry_retzke_at_redstone.net>
Date: 1997/06/20

Cathy Fischer wrote:

> I have an extra data file allocated to a tablespace that doesn't have anything
> in it and I want to get rid of it and reclaim the space for something else. Is
> there a way to do this without dropping the tablespace and re-creating it?

This is by the book, not from experience, as I've never done this in practice. I recommend doing this on a test database first.

  1. Make absolutely sure that no extents have been created in the datafile by querying 'dba_extents' for the tablespace in question and joining the file_id column to the same in 'dba_data_files'.
  2. With no active sessions, close the database (or startup nomount, alter database mount from an inactive instance).
  3. There's a command listed in the 'Oracle Server Reference' manual that allows you to drop an individual file. I believe the syntax is: alter database drop file 'filespec';

I don't have the manual handy, so I could be wrong.

Again, try it first on a test database.

Please let me know how you resolve the issue. Received on Fri Jun 20 1997 - 00:00:00 CDT