Re: Oracle and Microsoft SQL Server

From: Govert van Drimmelen <govert_at_icon.co.za>
Date: 1997/06/20

I only compare the two vendors because the question was about Oracle and SQL Server, and these are the only RDBMSs I have experience with.

DB2 on NT has had very good reviews though. IBM is comitted to develop all their (non O/S) software for NT as well. It seems as if IBM has realized that integration with NT has great advantages, is isn't only porting their software to NT, but really using the OS. They might well turn out to be the only viable competition againt MS BackOffice.

Don't underestimate SQL Server though. For a pure NT environment, it is probaly the better choice. For a mixed environment, esp. with mainframes, I would agree that one should give DB2 a good look.

Martin Verta made a good point in the corresponding thread in comp.databases.ms-sqlserver: "Anyway, I think it's great that the RDBMS market is so competitive. It's hard to make a wrong choice no matter what vendor you go with."