Re: Oracle and Microsoft SQL Server

From: Bill Bearden <bbearden_at_quincy.glenayre.com>
Date: 1997/06/20

SQL Server locks at the 'page' level. This would be similar to a database block in Oracle. The concept is the same. Page level locking is just a less sophisticated way of locking. The advantage is that it is simpler and might be more efficient. The disadvantage is that locking one row causes all rows in the page to be locked. This potentially causes more user process blocks and therefore less concurrency.

I have heard that some applications, namely SAP's R/3, require row level locking. If that is true, SQL Server is going to have to play catch up.

Bill Bearden
Consultant

rrbatra <rrbatra_at_feist.com> wrote in article <33A9FB0E.4ED_at_feist.com>...