PL/SQL limitation while updating table A with a cursor on Table A

From: Shivakumar Gopalakrishnan <shiva_at_one.net>
Date: 1997/06/18

I am doing a financial data warehouse currently. We have the Fact Table Balances by Period and the Account(which is a composit of 9 fields). I have a kind of period opening process. What this process does is read the previous month records and create the current month records with the ending balance of privious month as opening balance of the current month.

While running this procedure, I always get a ORA-01555, which says snapshot is too old in rollback segment. We have increased the extent size of the rollback segment, decreased the no of records after which I commit, Doubled the tablespace of the rollback segment. Still this error is persisting.

Currently we have decided to write the balance to a flat file and load it using sql/loader. Does anyone know of a better way.

The problem we found is that, Oracle tries to maintain a copy of the database as it was before, or as of the open of the cursor. SQL/Loader by passes this somehow. Does anyone know of a way to turn this switch off, as is done by the sql/loader.

Any help or suggestion is appreciated. Pls mail them to shiva_at_one.net Received on Wed Jun 18 1997 - 00:00:00 CDT