How do you backup a live database?

From: Atif Ahmad Khan <aak2_at_Ra.MsState.Edu>
Date: 1997/06/17

I have Oracle Workgroup Server 7.3.2.* running under Solaris X86 2.5.1. I have been given a 32GB DAT drive and asked to come up with a good backup solution. I am not much concerned about the system backups as it doesn't change much every day. However some tables in the database change every minute. Even if I were to export these tables and do an incremental backup, I cant possibly keep the backup up to date. There will be records lost if the drive were to crash in the middle.

What is the best one can do without going the pricey and somewhat complex RAID route?

Thanks.

Atif Khan
aak2_at_ra.msstate.edu Received on Tue Jun 17 1997 - 00:00:00 CDT